Coconut Mississippi Gulf Shrimp
spring, summer, fall, winter
- 16 oz Mississippi Gulf shrimp
- 1 each egg
- 3/4 cup flour, divided
- 2/3 cup beer
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 cup flaked coconut
- 3 cup oil for frying
- In medium bowl, combine egg, 1/2 cup flour, beer and baking powder.
- Place remaining flour in a small bowl, and coconut in another small bowl.
- Hold shrimp by tail and dredge in flour, followed by egg/beer batter, and then coconut.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with wax paper and repeat with remaining shrimp.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer or skillet.
- Fry shrimp in batches, turning once if in a skillet, until golden brown. Using tongs, remove to paper towels to drain.
- Serve warm with your favorite dipping sauce.
Serving Suggestion: Serve with rice and green peas.