Mississippi Gulf Blue Crab and Mushroom Chowder
spring, fall, winter
- 8 oz Mississippi Gulf blue crabmeat (claw or lump), picked for shells
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 bunch green onions, chopped
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 Tbsp butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 each medium potatoes, peeled, cubed and cooked
- 1/2 tsp dried dill
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, cook mushrooms, green onions and celery in butter until tender.
- Stir in salt and flour and stir to remove any lumps.
- Add milk and half-and-half.
- Continue to cook over medium heat, stirring until mixture thickens, about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in crab, dill and cubed potatoes. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Heat through, stirring occasionally.
- Serve garnished with additional chopped green onion if desired.
Serving Suggestion: Serve with grilled cheese and tomato sandwiches, a nice green salad or good crusty bread and butter.