Mississippi Gulf Oyster Chowder
spring, fall, winter
- 12 oz Mississippi Gulf oysters, with liquid
- 10 strips bacon, fried and crumbled, fat reserved
- 1 each onion, sliced thinly
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups water
- 2 each potatoes, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 3-7 each saltine crackers, crushed
- In a soup pot over medium-high heat, add 3 Tbsp reserved bacon fat and sliced onion. Cook until golden brown.
- Add flour and stir to remove any lumps.
- Add water and season with salt and pepper.
- Add potatoes and bring to a boil.
- Add milk and bring to just under a boil.
- Add bacon and crackers to adjust thickness of chowder as desired; reduce heat.
- Add oysters and their liquor and let cook over low heat for about 2 minutes, or until the edges of oyster curl and are just cooked though.
Serving Suggestion: Serve with a green salad with tomatoes and bell peppers.