Mississippi Gulf Seafood Gumbo
spring, summer, fall, winter
- 8 oz Mississippi Gulf shrimp, peeled
- 8 oz Mississippi Gulf claw crabmeat
- 4 each chicken legs, skin on
- 6 oz smoky sausage
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 each bell pepper, chopped
- 1 each large onion, chopped
- 1 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 10-oz can RO*TEL Hot
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 4 Tbsp vegetable oil, divided
- 8 oz okra, sliced
- 1 10.5-oz can chicken giblet gravy
- TABASCO® to taste
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1-2 Tbsp filé
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. When hot, add the chicken and sausage, and cook until golden brown.
- Add celery, onion, bell pepper, and let brown with meat.
- Add just enough water to cover, stirring up all the brown bits from the bottom, and add tomatoes, RO*TEL Hot and tomato paste.
- Reduce heat to just a simmer and cook until chicken is cooked through, 12-15 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pot, let cool and remove meat from bone.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 Tbsp oil and the okra, and sauté until just golden, then transfer to the Dutch oven.
- In a skillet (cast iron if possible) over medium-high heat, add 3 tbsp oil and flour and let cook, stirring constantly, until golden in color.
- Whisk in giblet gravy and roux to the pot; season with filé, TABASCO®, salt and pepper and let cook 15 minutes.
- Add shrimp, crab meat and chicken. Cook 10 minutes, then taste and adjust seasoning, adding filé to taste.
Serving Suggestion: Serve over rice.