Mississippi Gulf Shrimp and Corn Chowder
spring, fall, winter
- 16 oz large Mississippi Gulf shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 each large onion, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 each medium red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 14.5-oz can cream-style corn
- 1 cup light cream or half-and-half
- 1/4 bunch parsley, chopped
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- In a soup pot over medium-high heat, add oil and onion, and sauté until golden.
- Add chicken broth and potatoes, season with salt and pepper, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cook 5 minutes.
- Add corn and cream and let cook another 2 minutes, then taste and adjust seasoning.
- When potatoes are tender, add shrimp and cook 2 minutes or until shrimp pink and just cooked through.
- Sprinkle with parsley before serving.
Serving Suggestion: This chowder just needs good bread and butter and a little salad.