Mississippi Gulf Shrimp and Grits
spring, summer, fall, winter
- 1 lb medium to large Mississippi Gulf shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup quick grits
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 12 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced salt pork
- 1 each medium onion, chopped
- 1 each green or red bell peppers, chopped
- 2 Tbsp white wine
- 1 cup cream
- 1/2 bunch green onion, chopped
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Heat a saucepan over medium-high heat with broth, and bring to a boil.
- Whisk in grits, stirring constantly until tender, about 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in butter and cheese, cover and reserve.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat, add the oil and salt pork, and cook until crisp.
- Add onion and bell pepper, and sauté until onions are tender.
- Add shrimp and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Remove from pan and reserve.
- Deglaze pan with white wine, then add cream and let reduce for 1-2 minutes to thicken slightly.
- Season with salt and pepper, taste and adjust seasoning.
- Divide grits among 4 plates, top with shrimp, pour sauce over and garnish with chopped green onions.
Serving Suggestion: Serve alongside grilled asparagus.