Mississippi Gulf Shrimp Étoufée
spring, summer, fall, winter
- 16 oz Mississippi Gulf shrimp, peeled
- 1 cup white rice
- 8 Tbsp butter
- 1 each medium onion, chopped
- 1 each bell pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1-2 tsp paprika
- 1 10.5-oz can cream of mushroom soup
- flour, as needed
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Cook rice according to package instructions.
- In a soup pot over medium-high heat, add butter, onion, bell pepper and garlic, and let cook for 30 minutes.
- Add paprika and season with salt and pepper.
- Add cream of mushroom soup and one cup of water.
- Let cook, stirring occasionally until golden brown, about 15 minutes, adding more paprika if desired.
- If thicker sauce is desired, you may add 1-2 Tbsp flour.
- Add shrimp to sauce and let cook 8-10 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, turn off heat and let stand 10 minutes.
- Serve over cooked rice.
Serving Suggestion: Serve with garlic bread and your favorite salad.