Mississippi Gulf Shrimp Pie
spring, fall, winter
- 12 oz medium Mississippi Gulf shrimp, peeled
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 each medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 each green pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 cups dried bread cubes (dried bread cut in 1/4-inch cubes)
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 4 oz Gruyère cheese, shredded
- 4 each eggs
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/4 bunch parsley, chopped
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add oil, onion, green pepper, celery, thyme, salt and pepper and sauté about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Butter a 10-inch deep pie pan and line with bread cubes, and then top with onion mixture, shrimp, corn and cheese.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, half-and-half, tomatoes, parsley and red pepper.
- Pour mixture over ingredients in pie pan.
- Bake until custard sets, about 35 minutes; let stand 5 minutes before cutting.
Serving Suggestion: Serve with a wedge of iceberg lettuce and blue cheese dressing.