Papa’s Mississippi Gulf Oyster Christmas Gumbo
spring, fall, winter
- 16 oz Mississippi Gulf oysters, with liquid
- 1 each whole chicken, cut up
- 8 oz ham
- 8 oz andouille sausage
- 1 each large onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 each bell pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 each green onions, chopped
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1-2 Tbsp filé
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Put chicken in a covered Dutch oven with just enough water to cover, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and let simmer until just cooked through, about 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken and reserve chicken broth in pot.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat, add ham and sausage, and cook until golden brown.
- Remove meat from pan and reserve, and add onion, celery, green pepper, garlic and green onions.
- Sauté until golden, then remove from the pan and reserve.
- Make a roux in the same pan by adding the oil and flour, stirring constantly, until golden in color, then remove from heat.
- Bring chicken broth to a boil in Dutch oven and whisk in roux.
- Add oysters, reserved meats and vegetables, season with salt and pepper, and let cook 30 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning and thickness as desired.
- Add oysters and filé and let cook another 15 minutes, adding water if gumbo is too thick.
Serving Suggestion: Serve with rice and the other holiday dishes.