Scalloped Mississippi Gulf Oysters
spring, fall, winter
- 16 oz Mississippi Gulf oysters, drained, liquid reserved
- 1 cup oyster crackers
- 1 each medium onion, chopped
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 each clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 bunch parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add butter, onions and mushrooms, and cook until tender.
- Add garlic and cook 2 minutes.
- Add flour, stirring to remove lumps, and cook 2 minutes.
- Add reserved oyster liquid and milk, whisk until smooth and let cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add remaining ingredients, except breadcrumbs.
- Place in a casserole dish and top with the fresh breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
Serving Suggestion: Great alongside pork chops and peas or green beans.